SunPower believes in driving a brighter, sustainable future for all. We take a holistic approach to sustainability, ensuring that our solutions not only provide sustainable renewable energy, but that they’re also manufactured, deployed and managed in a sustainable way. Our goal is to play a greater role in stimulating the adoption of efficient and sustainable practices in our industry, with our customers, partners, stakeholders and employees across the world.
We’re proud to announce this prestigious honor for sustainable manufacturing of our E-Series and X-Series Solar Panels – the world's first and only solar products to be Cradle to Cradle CertifiedTM.
With SunPower’s 2011-2013 Sustainability Report, our aim is to provide an accurate account of our sustainability performance, report progress on our programs and initiatives, and demonstrate how we advance sustainability in the solar industry. This report represents an important part of our ongoing work to clearly define, strengthen and share our sustainability efforts.
SunPower measures and tracks carbon emissions and voluntarily reports this information to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP). Participation in this initiative represents an important step toward consistently measuring carbon emissions globally.
The SunPower Corporation Environmental Management System has been assessed and certified as compliant to ISO 14001 for the following scope: The design, manufacture, and delivery/installation of high performance solar electric systems for residential, commercial, and utility-scale power plant customers and the financing of these products.
The Scope for the Occupational Health Safety Assessment Series (OHSAS) 18001 is the design, manufacture, and delivery/installation of high performance solar electric systems for residential, commercial, and utility-scale power plant customers and the financing of these products.
SunPower is committed to conduct business that promotes a Healthy, Safe, Clean, and Sustainable Environment. To support this effort, SunPower:
- Is committed to protect the environment and provide a safe and injury free workplace to safeguard the health of our employees, contractors, customers and other stakeholders.
- As a responsible corporate citizen, is committed to comply with all applicable environmental, occupational health and safety laws and regulations and other requirements that apply.
- Pursues continual improvement in the areas of environment, safety and health as an important investment for the future and is committed to the prevention of pollution.
- Continually reviews and improves EHS management systems and manages EH&S risks using a hierarchy of controls.
- Sets targets and objectives to promote health and safety while conserving natural resources, minimizing waste, and providing an environmentally friendly workplace.
- Is committed to the involvement of workers and worker’s representatives in the decision-making process of the EH&S management system.
- Highly values EHS and ensures that:
- All jobs and processes are planned and performed in a safe, healthy and environmentally-sound manner.
- Environmental, health and safety impacts of the products, supplies and equipment purchased are fully reviewed.
- Products and commission projects are designed and built in a manner that prevents environmental, health and safety impacts to our employees, customers and the community.
We are proactively reaching out to minority, women, small, and veteran-owned enterprises to support local economic development in communities around the world. In the USA, we conduct extensive outreach to identify diverse businesses interested in working with SunPower. We also work with industry trade associations, independent business development councils, and national diverse supplier databases to develop our network of diverse suppliers.
Below are examples of the types of products or services SunPower often sources through our network of suppliers:
• Metal Erection (Install)
• Erosion Control
• PV Commodities (e.g., Glass, Wire, Cables, Aluminum)
• PV Installation
• Structural Steel (Fabrication & Install)
• General Contractor
If you would like more information about working with SunPower, please contact us at Supplier_Diversity[at]sunpower.com or call us at 1-800-SUNPOWER to speak with a Supplier Diversity
SunPower fully supports the goals and objectives of Section 1502 (“Section 1502”) of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (the “Act”), which aims to prevent the use of certain “Conflict Minerals” that directly or indirectly finance or benefit armed groups in The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) or adjoining countries (as defined in the Act). “Conflict Minerals” include: columbite-tantalite (coltan) (i.e., tantalum), cassiterite (i.e., tin), gold, wolframite (i.e., tungsten) or their derivatives and could expand to include other minerals or their derivatives, as determined by the U.S. Secretary of State.
SunPower is committed to avoiding the use of Conflict Minerals which directly or indirectly finance or benefit armed groups in the DRC or adjoining countries. SunPower is committed to complying with the reporting obligations required under Section 1502 of the Act, as well as the related rules and regulations issued by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including the requirement that SunPower conduct inquiries into the source of any Conflict Minerals included in its products. SunPower also intends to adopt the Electronic Industry Citizenship Coalition Due Diligence reporting process and obtain chain of custody declarations from suppliers to ensure transparency and corporate social responsibility throughout the supply chain.
SunPower suppliers are required to acknowledge SunPower’s Code of Conduct, which includes requirements regarding Conflict Minerals and responsible sourcing. Suppliers are also responsible for passing the same requirements on to their suppliers.
Suppliers will be required to declare that all products supplied either:
1. Do not contain tantalum, tin, tungsten or gold that are necessary to their production or functionality, or,
2. If they do contain these minerals, that they originate from non-conflict areas or from smelters that have been validated by an independent private sector party to be conflict free.
SunPower will evaluate its relationships with its suppliers on an ongoing basis to ensure continued compliance with this policy. SunPower reserves the right to request additional documentation from its suppliers regarding the source of any Conflict Minerals included in its products. In addition, suppliers must maintain and provide to SunPower upon request traceability data for a minimum of five years. Suppliers who do not comply with these requirements shall be reviewed by SunPower’s supply chain organization for future business.
PV Takeback, Reuse and Recycling
SunPower is committed to being a responsible producer and provides appropriate reuse and recycling options for our products. Our solar panel systems are covered under warranty for 25 years; under normal use, our products are expected to exceed their warranty period and perform for another 15 years, bringing their expected usable life to 40 years in total. If a customer chooses, once their 25 year warrantied usage is complete, SunPower provides a worldwide program which will pay for the recycling of these systems.*
We have a worldwide program in place to cover the costs for deinstallation, collection, reuse and recycling for all purchased and leased systems under the warranty period. SunPower wants to ensure our products are returned to SunPower for proper handling, reuse and recycling. Functional items are reused and non-functional items are sent to SunPower-approved recyclers for disposal. SunPower is committed to global zero-waste-to-landfill and does not allow scrap materials to be sent to landfill.
Customers are advised to contact their dealer or SunPower representative to arrange for deinstallation or replacement.1
Our current recyclers have the following certifications:
• OSHAS 18001
• R2/RIOS Certified Electronics Recycler®
• e-Stewards Standard for Responsible Recycling and Reuse of Electronic®:2009
• RESPONSIBLE RECYCLING©:2008
To learn more about our PV Takeback, Reuse and Recycling Program, contact your dealer or SunPower Representative.
- 1. Warranty conditions must be met